Tuesday 15 January 2013

These Boots Were Made For Walking And That's Just What I'll Do

So this post is extremely old at the moment. I originally wrote out the jist of it on my blackberry on Dec 9, 2012. One month later I'm actually getting around to putting it onto my blog. It won't be the whole post as I have to add photos still (I'm blogging at work again because my boss isn't here and I don't really have anything else to do), but it will give you something to read for now until I can get the photos up. Plus I will be doing another post today as well (minus photos) that I started writing on my blackberry the other day. So there will be two partial posts today. And now onto my story....

December 9, 2012
I got new tires for Truck on Friday. They are Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. We went with 75's which are an inch taller than the ones that I had on her originally. These ones are really knobby and have a nice deep tread pattern. They are all season tires but have a mud and winter rating, which is something that I really wanted when we were getting a new set of tires.

So on Sunday, Justin and I decided to go on our weekly drive. This week we decided to up the Chipmunk Creek Forest Service Road (FSR). We started out on the Slease FSR. While driving on Slease there was a little bit of snow, nothing that made us really put the tires to work. When we turned onto Chipmunk, it was a totally different story. There was a lot more snow on that FSR. But as we are the adventurous type and we wanted to test out Trucks new boots onward we went.
***Yes I call Trucks' tires boots. They are not shoes, as those are the brakes. These are boots.***
We were following a single set of tracks the majority of the way up. At the end of those tracks was a smaller pickup with chains and they were playing with a snow machine. After their truck there was nothing but fresh powder just waiting to be driven in. Now this is what I'm talking about. Fresh powder. New boots. Lets go!

We didn't end up going as far as we had hoped. The snow was rather deep and we were literally plowing our way through it all. So we got maybe half a km past where the guys were playing with the snow machine before we decided to turn around. Where we turned around, we were in about a foot and a half of snow and at an elevation of 2771ft. I opened my door to see how deep it really was and my door made a "door angel" mark in the snow.

Needless to say, we will have to try this trail out again some other time once a couple more people have driven on it before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment