Monday 11 July 2016

I Don't Know Sir

From mid-May to about mid-July I keep a close eye on the weather. But not the weather in town. I keep an eye on the weather further north in Clinton, Boston Bar and Kamloops. The reason behind this is because during this time frame is when the grouse lay their eggs for the upcoming season. Now, I'm sure I've mentioned before, but grouse are not the smartest birds out there. The reason I'm mentioning this in this case is because grouse nest on the ground. And the survival of the eggs greatly depends on the weather.

Now, if the weather is sunny and hot during the aforementioned time frame the grouse season will be a good one. However, if it is rainy the survival rate of the eggs goes down.

This year I am a little worried. May was nice, hot and sunny throughout our various hunting grounds. June on the other hand, not so much. We (anyone living in the lower "rain"-land) made up a nickname for June. We called it June-uary. June was miserable. Dreary, rainy weather for much of the month. That weather has now fallen into July also.

So fingers are crossed in hopes that the eggs survived this unseasonable weather. We will only know the outcome for sure in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment